Peninsula Temple Sholom
Youth Education Charter
As a Reform synagogue we are firmly rooted in Jewish tradition. We are committed to guiding students on a lifelong journey to explore their Jewish identities and find meaningful ways to bring Judaism into contemporary life.
- We believe our children need and deserve to acquire Jewish knowledge so they are prepared for their lives as Jews. This body of knowledge includes: Torah and sacred texts, the Jewish lifecycle and holidays, the broader Jewish community, Israel and Hebrew language.
- We believe that teaching Jewish ethics and values and debating their real-life applications prepares students to make good decisions and live meaningful lives.
- We believe that teaching and experiencing prayer, ritual, tradition and Jewish culture enables students to form personal connections with the Jewish faith and develop their own spirituality.
- We believe that Israel is a central feature of modern Jewish life, and that we should strive to inspire students to care deeply about Israel - the land and its people.
- We believe that by providing students with opportunities to establish relationships with the broader Jewish community we will cultivate their identification with the entirety of the Jewish people.
- We believe that fostering strong relationships between Jewish youth is a key to developing a strong Jewish community.
- We believe that when fun and joy are integral components of the Jewish learning experience, then a love for Jewish learning is developed and sustained over the passage of time.